We love air dry clay and have used it for years! Here are our top 15 air dry clay projects for kids that are easy and fun.
Updated June 2022
Have you used air dry clay? This stuff is awesome for kids’ arts & crafts! It feels a lot like regular potter’s clay, but it’s not as messy. And it dries hard without needing to be fired.
Is it unbreakable? No. But neither is fired pottery. And it is quite strong.
We use and love Crayola Air Dry Clay and have for years. The quality is good, the price is reasonable, and there’s just so much that can be done with it!
You can get Crayola Air Dry Clay at most big box stores, craft stores, or online.
For more of our recommended kids’ arts and crafts supplies (as well as art books, open-ended toys, etc.), be sure to check out The Artful Parent Amazon storefront.
Here is a list of our favorite clay projects for kids. We hope you get inspired and try a few!
Clay Projects for Kids
Create sweet birds and pinch pot nests. This is a perfect springtime clay activity!
This easy nature craft project is fun for kids to experiment making prints in clay.
These clay dishes are easy & fun to create and decorate! Use them to hold small trinkets, for display, or to gift to others.
Learn how to make a simple or more elaborate version of clay coil pots.
Create heart shapes with cookie cutters & decorate the clay hearts with beads.
6. Creative small world play for kids from Danielle of Little Ginger Studio
Your child can explore whatever their current interest is by creating their own figures for a small world or diorama. This is a fun open-ended clay activity for kids.
Use doilies or lace to create unique textures in clay. Then cut into hearts or other shapes to use as ornaments or magnets.
8. Create a clay coral reef from Catalina of Redviolet Studio
Use air dry clay and clay tools to create a 3D, textured coral reef. You can even use glow in the dark paint so that it really shines!
9. Dyed pasta mosaic in clay by Buggy & Buddy
These colorful flower mosaics are the perfect projects for spring!
10. Painted mosaic pinch pots by Handmade Charlotte
These easy painted pinch pots are great for kids to put their little treasures in.
11. Mosaic Clay Pinch Pots from Benares of Children’s Art Lab
Dig into the recycling bin for materials to upcycle and create some amazing mosaic art for kids.
12. Create A Fairy House from Danielle of Little Ginger Studio
Learn how to make a fairy house using air dry clay, beans, & found nature items. Kids love creating these little houses & they encourage hours of imaginative play.
13. Make a Nature Mobile for Kids with Abbey of Wild Wattle Folk
Go for a nature walk and gather natural materials to use for this beautiful nature mobile. Painted air dry clay beads add the finishing touch!
14. Create Colorful Clay Relief Tiles from Danielle of Little Ginger Studio
Create gorgeous decorative tiles with air drying clay and a surprising method for adding color. This is a fool-proof project for novice potters.
15. Clay Coil Hearts from Danielle of Little Ginger Studio
These clay coil hearts are super easy to make and suitable for all ages from 4 years and up. I’ve made them with little kids and adults and they never fail!
More Clay Projects for Kids
- Clay & Playdough Play for Kids
- Why We Love this Kids Pottery Wheel
- How to Make Starry Night Scene by Painting with Clay
- The Artful Parent Clay & Playdough page
- Use World Colors modeling clay to make clay faces
- Fun Playdough Activities for Kids with Ideas to Play & Learn
Pin It For Later