Ok, Squirt Gun Pumpkin Painting is my kids’ new favorite fall tradition!! It’s a fun and creative no-carve activity for fall and my kids love the opportunity to be creative outdoors! I have a feeling we’ll be doing this every single year! This would be a fun Halloween party activity for all the kids in our neighborhood, too. I can’t wait to show you how easy this is!!
Instructions for Squirt Gun Pumpkin Painting Activity for Kids
This activity is really quite easy to set up once you know what to do!! The key is to buy the correct type of paint and squirt guns!
Supplies for Squirt Gun Pumpkin Painting
- White Pumpkin – Any size will do, but our local superstore had a big bin of medium-sized white pumpkins for only $4.99! You could use an orange pumpkin and spray paint it white, but this saves a ton of time!
- Crayola Washable Craft Paint – I really like this brand especially because the paint mixed very well with the water and didn’t have globs of paint which could have blocked the inside of the squirt gun and ended the activity pretty quickly!
- Plastic Condiment Bottles – This was hands down the easiest way ever to mix the paint and water. It’s also the easiest way to get the paint solution into the squirt gun with no mess at all!!
- Water, of course!
- Squirt Guns – I liked this kind especially, because they’re mini size. They’re also under $10 to buy a package for all the colors we’ll need!
First, you’ll need a white pumpkin! Any size will do!
Next, have your kids pick out the paint colors.
After that, combine an entire jar of the Crayola craft paint with 1/4 cup water inside the squeeze condiment bottle. This ratio worked well for our family because it’s thin enough to be squirted, but opaque enough to not look too watery on the pumpkin.
Shake to mix well. You might have to wait a minute for the bubbles to go down. Then, use the squirt bottle to squeeze the paint water into each squirt gun. Repeat this process for every color of paint.
Lastly, let your kids squirt one color at a time until the pumpkin is painted!
Doesn’t this look great?! Let me know if you try this activity with your kids!!
What kind of paint to use for Squirt Gun Pumpkin Painting?
I like kids craft paint. This kind of paint dissolves very quickly and easily in the water. This is important because you don’t want globs of paint to block the inside of the squirt gun.
More Halloween Activities for Kids
- Monster Egg Hunt – A fun way to let kids hunt for candy during Halloween parties!
- Trick or Treat Punch Board – This is great for trick or treating or even at class parties!
- 21 Halloween Crafts for Kids – This huge list will give you a TON of great ideas!
- Small Containers of Kids Craft Paint (assorted colors)
- White Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Water
- squirt guns
- squeeze condiment bottles (1 per color)
- Pick out paint colors.
- Combine 1/4 cup water and jar of craft paint in condiment container. Shake to mix well. Do this process for each color.
- Squeeze paint mixture into squirt gun. Shake well. Do this process for each color.
- Let your kids have fun decorating their pumpkin!
- Let dry for 30 minutes in the sun.
- Squirt multiple layers of color, if desired, drying in between each layer.