Last week we shared our ideas for handmade gifts that you can make for others with stuff you might already have laying around. Today we are sharing some of our favourite items weve spotted over the last year that we would LOVE to find under the tree with our name on them. Whether these are gifts for a sewist or maker in your life, or some ideas you would like to forward to Santa for yourself, we have you covered. From books to tools to some fun little extras, giving someone anything that sparks creativity or makes their favourite hobby a little more enjoyable is always the gift that keeps on giving. Aint no present like a sewjo present, amiright?!
- Making Magazine // Gifts: One of our favourite magazines, a subscription includes two issues of the print magazine as well as this special digital issue of gift-making projects. You can also purchase the digital magazine separately. It includes all kinds of knitting and making projects and the artwork is reliably lovely.
- I Can Make Shoes: One of the most comprehensive books for beginner shoemakers, they also have an online store for sourcing supplies.
- Christian Dior: History & Modernity: We recently bought this book for our collection at the studio and it is a lovely archive of Dior designs with a focus on the insides of couture garments, basically erotica for sewing enthusiasts.
- Fibreshed: This is a super interesting book about sustainable fibre production; were looking forward to reading it over the holidays.
- Make it Simple: A new book of super simple projects by Tilly and the Buttons. This is a pre-order as the book will be available early 2020!
- Fibre Mood Magazine: For the first time in English this collection of patterns, instructions and inspiration includes both knitting and sewing projects. You can bundle the magazines or pick and choose from separate seasonal editions.
- Autumn Flowers Embroidery Kit: Perfect for a beginner to embroidery, this kit includes everything you need to make these pretty autumn flowers.
- Knit Design Studio Beanie Knitting Kit: With this chunky wool and circular needles, this fun beenie project would come together quickly and easily.
- Nova Mercury Weaving Kit: Fellow Montrealer Jen puts a lot of time and thought into her beautiful weaving kits and includes everything you need to make one of her signature wall hangings.
- Silver Lining Quilt Kit: This pretty quilt kit comes with everything you need to make a Queen sized bed quilt (batting extra) and the neutral tones will go with just about any decor.
- Westlake Knits Natural Dyeing Kit: Natural dyeing can be daunting. This little kit is made for a beginner and includes everything you need except what you want to dye!
- Striped Cotton Bias Tape: While making bias tape is easy enough, sometimes its nice to have something pretty ready to go! These stripes would add a fun pop to just about any project.
- Kylie and the Machine Me-made Labels: You should go check out all the adorable me-made label offers from this brand but we especially love this mixed pack. Youll always have the perfect message on hand to add to your creations.
- Each to Own Buttons: Some garments deserve a little extra love. These special buttons are just the the thing for a unique detail.
- Hiroshima Hand Sewing Needles: Can you use other needles for hand sewing? Absolutely. Are these ones the best? Absolutely.
- Sashiko Inspired Marble Pattern Weights: Youll be looking for excuses to cut stuff out with these lovely pattern weights.
- Gutterman Thread Box: Theres nothing nicer than wanting to start a project and finding out you already have the thread you need. And if youre anything like me, lining up a whole box of thread in a pretty colour order is the definition of bliss.
- Rotary Cutter with Pinking Blade Selection: This is on Alexis wish list this year as she realized she didnt have any pinking shears and this solves that problem and more in one fell swoop.
- Pattern Drafting and Seam Allowance Rulers: We have included these in guides before and we probably will again. Once you have needed and used these rulers there is no looking back!
- My Pad Needle Saver & Organizer: This is a handy little tool for keeping you organized in your sewing space. It will probably save you a lot of needles in the long run since you wont be changing them just cause you cant remember what you have!
- Seam Fix Thread Ripper & Eraser: This ended up being a favourite around the studio this year. Its a really good seam ripper and the other side is a little rubber nub that pulls out your loose thread ends like an eraser!
- Handmade Oak Clapper & Point Presser: Not only a total workhorse of a gadget, this pretty wood clapper is a handmade piece of art.
- Maker & Sewist Necklaces: We are sold out of the silver Maker necklaces but we still have some of these in stock in our shop! Dont wait if youve been eyeing them, these are limited edition and wont be restocked.
- Sewist Fanatic Tote Bag: Carry around this tote and separate the wheat from the chaff. Lets just say: if you get it, you get it.
- Hot/ Cold Insulated Mug: Another sentiment only a sewist will fully understand. PUNISHABLE BY DEATH.
- FBA Club Enamel Pin: There are a lot of cute sewing pins out there but this one put a smile on my face. They have a few different colours too.
- Needle Ring: How pretty is this ring!? A subtle little nod to our favourite pass time.
Did we miss anything? Whats on your list? Tell us in the comments!