This easy Chicken Piccata is a firm favorite in our house! Tender chicken breasts, dredged in flour, in a deliciously zesty and savory sauce – so good!
Easy Chicken Piccata Pasta
Whip up this classic Italian dish in a flash, you will not be disappointed! Wonderfully tender chicken, dredged in flour and coated with a delectable lemon caper sauce. It makes for a great weeknight dinner!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Piccata Recipe:
- A ONE PAN MEAL: This really is one of the easiest and most delicious chicken recipes! Made mainly with kitchen staples and all rustled up in one pan.
- PERFECT CHICKEN: The chicken breasts are dredged in flour for a crispy edge, they come out super juicy too.
- A DELICIOUS PICCATA SAUCE: Made with chicken broth, white wine, lemon, capers and garlic – this savory and zesty sauce is pure joy!
Chicken Piccata is one of those quick and simple meals that the whole family will adore!
How to Make Chicken Piccata
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Dredge your chicken in flour and season.
- Cook chicken in a skillet until browned, set chicken aside.
- Add the onion, garlic to the skillet, sauté, then add in the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet
- Serve and enjoy!
The chicken is done cooking when the exterior is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
In place of the white wine, use an equal quantity of low sodium chicken broth or lemon juice.
Use your favorite kind of pasta! I love serving chicken piccata with angel hair or fettuccine, but use whatever you love most.
Yes! To make this recipe gluten free, use 1:1 gluten free flour (like Cup4Cup) in place of the all-purpose flour and use your favorite gluten free pasta.
You can go classic with some pasta, or make the meal even heartier by serving over mashed potatoes. There’s lots of sides to play go for, here’s some favorites:
- Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Sauteed Asparagus Recipe with Pancetta
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
The easy piccata sauce is simmered and reduced to bring out all those great flavors!
Store leftover chicken piccata in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tips for Best Chicken Piccata
A cast iron skillet is a great choice for homemade chicken piccata. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a high-walled sauté pan or frying pan also work well.
If you don’t have a meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken you can use a sturdy cup or rolling pin, in a pinch.
Use juice from a real lemon, it tastes so much better than from the bottle.
More Skillet Chicken Recipes We Love
- French Onion Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Basil Chicken Skillet
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet Pie
Crispy edged, juicy chicken smothered in a light sauce which is packed with flavor, this easy chicken piccata recipe is the perfect one pan dinner that you and your family will love. It’s a simple and classic Italian dish which is utterly delicious – give it a whirl!
More Italian Dinner Recipes to Try:
- Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Creamy White Chicken Lasagna
- Grandma’s Best Meatballs
- Crockpot Spaghetti Casserole
- Easy Stromboli Recipe
- Easy Baked Ziti Recipe
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!
Chicken Piccata Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 3 tablespoons capers rinsed
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 8 ounces cooked pasta for serving (½ standard box)
Line a plate with paper towels. Set aside.
Place flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Set aside.1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally, for a total of 4 pieces of chicken. Use a meat mallet to pound each breast to an even ½-inch thickness. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Dredge each chicken breast in the flour, coat all sides, and shake off any excess.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Kosher salt, Ground black pepper
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Once sizzling, add 2 chicken breasts and cook for 3 minutes per side, until browned. Transfer to the prepared plate and repeat with remaining 2 chicken breasts.6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 5 tablespoons olive oil
To the empty skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.¼ cup diced onion, 4 cloves garlic
Stir in the wine to deglaze the skillet. Allow the wine to reduce for 1 minute, then add the chicken broth, lemon juice and zest, and capers.¼ cup white wine, ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth, 1 lemon, 3 tablespoons capers
- Bring the mixture to a low boil. Add the remaining butter and whisk vigorously until melted.
Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta and garnish with parsley.Chopped fresh parsley, 8 ounces cooked pasta