Thisis the easiest Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip in existence! Just cook on high for 4 hours and you've got the perfect appetizer for holiday parties and tailgating season! Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in crock pot Buffalo chicken dip
I like to use boneless skinless chicken breast to make this easy crock pot Buffalo chicken dip. You dont want to have to mess with taking chicken pieces apart. You can use dark meat if you prefer; just use boneless skinless chicken thighs rather than chicken breasts.
For the dip, you will also need:
- Cream cheese I use full fat for a creamier dip
- Sour cream
- Buffalo sauce This is a cayenne pepper based sauce with butter and vinegar. It can be zesty, but not incredibly hot like some hot sauces are. It's easy to make your own, or you can find it in the condiment aisle of the grocery store.
- Blue cheese
- Green onions (scallions)
How to make Buffalo chicken dip
Youll need two chicken breasts to make this dip recipe. Its easy to make! Just cook the chicken in the crock pot for several hours first, then shred it. The easiest way to shred a cooked chicken breast is to use two forks to pull the meat apart.
To cut the time down that it takes to make this recipe, you can boil the chicken for about 20 minutes first to cook it through. Or, you can also use shredded rotisserie chicken, then skip right to the next part of this recipe.
After you have cooked and shredded the chicken, you can make the dip.
- Microwave the cream cheese for two minutes or until melted.
- Mix it with sour cream, Buffalo sauce and melted butter.
- Stir in the cooked shredded chicken.
- Cook in the crock pot for two hours on high, or on low for a few hours. You can even serve it right from the crock pot so it stays hot all through your party or the game.
- Top with blue cheese crumbles and green onions
The Buffalo chicken dip can be made ahead of time, too. Its great to bring to a party or to serve to a crowd. You wont miss a minute of the action because you finished making your dip hours before!
Depending on your preferences, you can alter some of the ingredients to include your favorite flavours.
- Use ranch or blue cheese dressing instead of sour cream. Or, for a healthier dip, use plain Greek yogurt!
- Add hot sauce to spice it up as little or as much as you prefer, or stir in some diced chile peppers.
- Add cheddar or Monterey jack cheese to the mixture. If you have time, shred the cheese yourself from a block. It melts much better than packaged shredded cheese.
- Coconut milk or mayonnaise can be used to make it dairy free. This substitution is also necessary to make it keto, paleo or Whole30 friendly.
Instead of green onions and blue cheese, you can get creative with the toppings for the dip as well. Try some of these on top:
- Diced chile peppers
- Shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Extra Buffalo sauce
- Black olives
Can you double this recipe?
Are you feeding a crowd of hungry tailgaters? If so, feel free to double the recipe. Keep in mind, however, that it may take a little longer to cook the chicken thoroughly.
Baking Buffalo chicken dip
You can skip the crock pot and cook the dip in an oven instead. Place the dip ingredients into a baking dish and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
How else can you use Buffalo chicken dip?
For a party, this crock pot Buffalo chicken dip will be a hit as an appetizer. For even tastier ideas, try some of these unique uses for Buffalo chicken dip:
- In quesadillas
- Poured over French fries (similar to poutine)
- Stuffed in crescent rolls
- Use it to make a grilled cheese sandwich
- Mixed with pasta
- On potato skins
Storing and reheating
You can store this easy Buffalo chicken dip in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to five days. To reheat, cookit in the microwave by heating in 30 second increments until hot. Stir between each time period.
Or, if you make the entire dish in advance, you can reheat it in the slow cooker or in an oven.
Can you freeze Buffalo chicken dip
Buffalo chicken dip freezes really well. You can store frozen it in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator the night before you want to serve it.
Heat it in the oven or in the crock pot when you are ready to serve it.
What to serve with crock pot Buffalo chicken dip
If you are serving this as an appetizer or snack, youll want to serve it with things to dip into it. Any of these will work to give your snack table lots of variety:
- Pita chips
- Tortilla chips
- Bell peppers
More easy crockpot recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab someglass meal prep bowlsif you plan on turning this30-Minute Ahi Poke Bowl into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through
- Usethese Ziploc bag holdersif you're marinating the chicken then freezing it
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Meal prep challenge
If you'd like some more help with meal planning, then you'll love my free 5-day meal prep challenge! It's basically a free course that will teach you how to meal prep and cook healthy meals at home with some PDF bonus materials. Sign up for free below:
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Thisis the easiest Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip! Cook high for 4 hours and you've got the perfect appetizer for holiday parties and tailgating season!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 (8 oz) brick cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Tortilla chips
Add chicken and broth to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken to shred, and discard leftover broth. You can also boil chicken in broth for 18-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through, or use 2 cups leftover/rotisserie chicken.
Microwave cream cheese for 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream, buffalo sauce and melted butter, then stir in shredded chicken. Add to slow cooker, then cook on high for 2 hours.
Top buffalo chicken dip with green onions and blue cheese, then serve with tortilla chips, celery and carrots and enjoy!
Calories reflect a 1/2 cup serving minus any chips or veggies