Special diet: gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan
Seasoned with fresh garlic and basil, Mediterranean Tomato and Zucchini Saute is a quick and delicious vegan side dish. Juicy tomatoes and sweet summer squash are the perfect pair.
Zucchini squash and tomatoes are a match made in heaven. They taste great together in dishes like vegetable lasagna, Italian stew, and this simple Mediterranean dish. Jump to:
- Why you’ll love this recipe
- Serving suggestions
- More tomato and zucchini recipes
- 📋 Recipe
Why you’ll love this recipe
- You can make it in 30 minutes with only 6 ingredients.
- It’s a rustic dish, so you don’t need to worry about cutting the vegetables in perfect shapes.
- It’s a celebration of summer flavors and goes with just about everything.
No-Cook Cherry Tomato Sauce
- Tomatoes: Cherry or grape tomatoes work well here because you only have to slice them in half. But don’t worry if you only have larger tomatoes. You can dice them up and use them in this recipe.
- Basil: If you don’t have fresh basil you can substitute fresh parsley or oregano. Or simply leave the herbs out.
- Zucchini: While I tend to use green squash (also known as courgettes) in this recipe, any summer squash you have on hand will work. It’s great with yellow squash, crookneck, or pattypan.
To prepare the zucchini, first slice the squash into quarters horizontally. Then slice the quarters vertically into chunks.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes to the skillet and saute until the tomatoes soften and start to release their juices.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and season to taste with salt.
- Roughly tear the basil leaves and sprinkle them over the zucchini mixture. Serve immediately or allow to rest and enjoy at room temperature.
Wait to tear the basil leaves until just before serving. Otherwise they will bruise and look discolored.
Learn the 5 Secrets to
COOKING THE VEGAN MEDITERRANEAN DIET WAY
FREE mini-course delivered straight to your inbox
Enjoy this tomato and zucchini side dish with everything from pasta to veggie meat loaf. Or try it with some toasted crusty bread like my favorite gluten-free vegan sourdough from San Francisco, Bread SRSLY, which you can order online and store in your freezer.
- 15 Minute Tomato Paste Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Lentil Meatloaf Muffins
- Chickpea Rice Pilaf Recipe
- Orange Spiced Quinoa
Leftover tomato and zucchini saute can be stored covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Enjoy reheated or straight from the refrigerator. This dish does not freeze well.
Should I peel zucchini?
No, there is no need to peel zucchini.
Should zucchini be stored in the refrigerator?
Yes, summer squash, unlike winter squash, should be stored in the refrigerator. Keep it dry and uncut in a paper or plastic bag for up to 2 weeks.
How do you store fresh basil leaves?
To store a bunch of basil on the counter, place the stems in a glass of water like you would a bouquet of flowers. Then cover the basil leaves with a plastic bag. To store basil in the refrigerator, wash and dry the leaves in a salad spinner or by hand. Wrap the dried leaves in a paper tower and put in a plastic bag until ready to use.
More tomato and zucchini recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy summer produce? Try some of these vegan Mediterranean diet favorites:
- Easy Vegan Spaghetti with Zucchini
- Stewed Zucchini with Tomatoes and Chickpeas
- Tomato Basil Cucumber Salad with Tofu Feta
- Mediterranean Grilled Eggplant Salad
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
- ▢ 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ▢ 1 pound zucchini, (about 3 medium) sliced into quarters horizontally, then vertically into chunks.
- ▢ 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢ 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ▢ salt, to taste
- ▢ handful fresh basil leaves
- ▢ Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- ▢ Add the zucchini and saute until lightly browned.
- ▢ Add the garlic and tomatoes to the skillet and saute until the tomatoes soften and start to release their juices.
- ▢ Remove the skillet from the heat and season to taste with salt.
- ▢ Roughly tear the basil leaves and sprinkle them over the zucchini mixture. Serve immediately or allow to rest and enjoy at room temperature.
Share your recipe photos by tagging @veggiessavetheday
Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 306mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 228IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.