You asked and of course, I answered! Mexican food here we come! Another great meal to have during the colder months is this Red Sauce Enchilada Casserole. My mom used to make a version of this when I was younger. I like to think of it as a Mexican food lasagna. Whatever you call it, its sure to warm you up on a snowy day!
- 2lbs hground beef
- 2 cans of refried beans (I prefer the fat free, but you can choose!)
- 1.5 cans of red enchilada sauce
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 10 tortillas
- 1 bag of shredded cheese
- Taco seasoning (as much as desired)
- 1 canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
*Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mince the peppers together and set aside. Mince the chipotle peppers and onions together and set aside. (I prefer to use my little ninja chopper, but any food processor works if you dont want to do it by hand.)
2. Brown your ground beef and season with taco seasoning. Taste it to make sure it meets your palate requirements.
3. Drain the excess grease from the meat and set aside.
4. Make the refried beans per the instruction on the can and set aside.
5. Grab a casserole dish and start layering it all up! I start with a tortilla and cut it to make sure it covers as much of the bottom of the dish as much as possible. Then some enchilada sauce, cheese, meat and chipotle pepper and onion mix.
6. Add another layer of tortillas then refried beans, peppers, cheese.
7. Repeat steps 5-6 until you run out of food to layer.
8. Put foil over the top and bake it for 30 minutes.
9. Take it out, let it cool a little, cut a piece, add some sour cream and ENJOY!
Check out those layers:
Make sure to check out this weekends Meal Prep blog to see even more pictures! As always let me know if you try this delicious recipe out!