Do you know the number one question I get asked about my weight loss?
What did I eat?
I wish I had a super exciting answer.
I wish I had a secret that I could share that would be a miracle.
I wish I could have clicked my ruby red slippers together and watched as the weight melted away overnight.
It’s kind of a boring weight loss story.
I ate healthy food and drank a bunch of water.
Every night I would eat a lean and green meal with vegetables and protein. After a while, I learned to get creative. I learned there are so many vegetables and fruit and types of cheese out there that I never even met before. I learned to mix them up and create healthy recipes. The program I did, Optavia, has so many different healthy recipes and I want to share some of my favorites.
Like this yummy Zucchini Lasagna.
I made it for dinner last night and the twins went back for seconds.
Before we get started can I share a fun fact?
Did you know that zucchini is a squash?
Until I started making this I didn’t even know what zucchini looked like.
And I for SURE had no idea it was a squash.
It’s actually kind of a genius vegetable. According to Healthline it’s rich in nutrients and high in antioxidants and contributes to healthy digestion and may reduce blood sugar levels.
And it’s super yummy.
Especially when you use it instead of pasta in this lasagna recipe.
Here’s how to make it.
Yummy Zucchini Lasagna
It is SO GOOD.
The zucchini has a little bit of crispness to it and the ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese make it taste like so many more calories than it is.
It’s the perfect dish for summer when you want something a little lighter that fills you up, but doesn’t leave you feeling overfull.
Here’s to healthy bites that make summer so much more fun.
Yummy Zucchini Lasagna
- 2 medium zucchini – total weight 10 ounces
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup low carbohydrate marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup lowfat mozarella
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a potato peeler, slice the two sides of each zucchini into thin flat strips, peeling until you reach the center. You will end up with 25-30 slices.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan, egg, and spinach.
- Separately, fill the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with the marinara sauce.
- Add a layer of the zucchini strips on the bottom of a baking dish. Add a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture on top.
- Crisscross another layer of the zucchini strips in the opposite directions. Add the final layer of the ricotta cheese mixture on top.
- Top with mozzarella and more Parmesan.
- Bake the zucchini lasagna for 30 minutes, until the zucchini is al dente and the cheese on top is turning golden brown.